Mar 24

Stripping Katos

Alright, so I’m working on an SD40 here, a Kato unit to be exact. And I tried to strip the paint off of it. First, I tried using rubbing alcohol. That didn’t work too well. Then I put it in some brake fluid, as that seems to strip other locomotives. It didn’t get fully stripped, but what I suspect is that a few rounds alternating between the alcohol and the brake fluid would strip it fairly well. These pictures might not show it too well, but the piece underneath the cab was stripped quite well; the main shell, not so much, and the deck practically nothing.

The pictures don’t show it quite well, but the paint is cracked in several places. It’s a cool effect that I would keep if I were not re-painting it; as it is, I’m just going to paint over it. If some of it shows through, I’m not too concerned about it because it will be a cool effect.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3